Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Monday, September 05, 2005

Mount Fuji-fied

Well, I can cross one more thing off my Japan to-do list: Climb Mount Fuji. Let me tell you, I am glad I did it, but I never want to do it again. I think Fuji is Japanese for long, boring, 10-hour hike. Actually, believe it or not, Fuji is Japanese for "live or die." I just asked my Japanese English teacher and that's what she said. I think it got that name because people climbing Fuji kept asking themselves "can I make it to the top, or should I just end it now and kill myself?"




















A picture of glorious Mt. Fuji. At 12,389 feet, it is the tallest mountain in Japan. For a live shot of Mt. Fuji click
here. Note: it may be cloudy and not visible on the live webcam.

After 7 hours of climbing up the mountain terrain made of small rocks that act as banana peels and marbles, I made it to the top! Let me tell you, it took my breath away! Not because of the breath-taking view, but because of the non-stop 40 mph cold winds! Seriously though, it was very beautiful. I made it up just in time for the sun to rise over the "land of the rising sun." Despite all of the people, the cold winds, and my sore feet, it was very peaceful and inspiring.



















After this glamour shot, my mouth was frozen wide open until I reached the b
ase several thousand meters (and about 4 hours) down. Also note the Americana headband. Yep, I claimed a little corner of the crater for the good old U. S. of A.



















This picture reminds me of astronauts for some reason, that's all I have to say. Oh, and I love this picture.


















This is actually a picture of Heaven. I found the pearly gates (that structure on the left in the above picture), but I never found a guy named Paul. I did, however, find a guy named Suzuki and Mitsubishi. I was thinking of asking for an early entry permit--I might as well kill two birds with one stone (by the way, you could kill a lot of birds with all the stones on Fuji...I guess that's why I never saw any birds).



















Breath-taking view on the way down (click on any picture for larger image).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home