Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Punxsutawney's Prediction


The last couple days were absolutely gorgeous--exemplified by being able to read the daily English newspaper on my balcony as I listened to the wildlife changing around me. The river running through this quiet, mountain town was not a tiny winter stream in search of moisture but more like your little brother at bedtime, never keeping quiet or laying still. Just when I thought the joys of warmer temperatures, spring blooms, and t-shirts were making their triumphant return, a cold-prickly front moved in and dumped its contents. It looks like the river will have to take a nap until its visitor and cold temperatures melt away.

I know that February has only just begun, but it seems as though winter needs to sign a do not resuscitate order. Out of all the seasons, winter is the most immature. Winter always has to have the last say in things--just when you thought it grew up from all the harsh times it went through it decides to throw a tantrum, dropping 8 inches of powder. Winter is the season that everyone talks about, much like those childish junior high school students who you think will never grow up. Winter is a late bloomer. So late, in fact, that winter has to wait an additional season until physical changes start to occur.

With that said, I will be going skiing two out of the next three weekends. C'mon guys...you have to adapt! Let me know what Punxsutawney Phil sees. HAPPY GROUNDHOG'S DAY!

7 Comments:

Blogger Vicki Larson said...

Once again, kudos for your descriptive ability. Isaac: You are a great writer! Keep it up and never give it up... either always writing a blog, or starting to imagine writing a book. I love what you are sharing. vicki

10:42 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

DARN IT!! I wanted to be the first one to tell you!!!! Yeah, he saw his shadow blah blah blah...

But its 6 more weeks. WOOOO!! (that i was right, not for winter..i hate winter)

12:09 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I'm from the school of thought that this 'Phil' character has no jurisdiction whatsoever over our weather situation in Japan. He's washed up, a hack, a nobody.

In short, 6 more weeks of winter is too long and I refuse to accept it.

Bring on the days when opening my curtains to allow some sunlight into my apartment doesn't mean throwing away the most effective form of insulation between myself and the wind outside!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cousin! I keep trying to post up messages and for some reason it puts them up for like and hour and then they are gone! So maybe you will get this one! Hope you had fun skiing! I had dinner with your ma&pa and uncle lou on sat. night. We had "Minnesota" food! Potatoes and ham! Anyways- I had posted a message inquiring about this JET thing you are doing. It sounds like you are having a great time and experiencing so much! I am so jealous in fact that I looked into going - and SADLY I am too late! Any ideas on how I can sneak in!? Anyways- I just wanted to follow in my wise cousins footsteps...
Let me hear from you when you get a chance! Michelle
michelleflessner@hotmail.com

1:41 AM  
Blogger Paul S. said...

Sounds like fun. When you get back to the states come to Colorado. I'll show you real skiing then. Also, why am I not a buddy of yours?

2:24 PM  
Blogger T-Mu said...

Isaac-san,
I don't know how you do it, but your posts are not only well worded, super interesting and complimented with wonderful pictures, but also really funny. You're my hero!
- Thomas
PS: as you told me, I would have to mirror the message back to you - you should update it more frequently and make your readers more happy

4:53 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

we demand updates!

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home