Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Globalization: Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Every Town.

Globalization. Part of me loves it, part of me hates it. I love it because without it I probably wouldn't be across the globe in Japan right now. I hate it because I think it tends to eliminate culture, merging them all together forming an emormous cultural conglomerate. Being in Japan, I can officially say Japan has culture. They have more culture than you can shake a stick at.

Anyway, why am I talking about this? Well, last weekend I had a supplementary job at a nearby school. It was for a Christmas party and I was none other than Santa Claus. Never before have I seen so many kids look at me as if I was the coolest person on the planet. Now that I think about it though, the whole experience seems quarky to me. What am I doing in Japan dressed up as Santa Claus no less? When did Christmas become more about Santa Claus and less about the guy the holiday is actually named after? And why is Japan (basically a non-religious country) celebrating a religious holiday? The answer: it is fun.


Don't get me wrong, in some ways I am glad that the Santa Claus story is dominating. I mean, can you imagine trying to explain the real Christmas story to a bunch of junior high school students? It's hard enough trying to explain sleigh and reindeer. Try explaining Jesus, the Three Wise Men, and the Virgin Mary.


Anyway, I think it is great that Japan celebrates Christmas, even if it is the commercialized version. I think it is worth it as long as love is being spread, the concept of giving is in the cool, crisp air, and kids are having fun. Let's just hope that Christmas doesn't replace sumo, sake, and sushi.

6 Comments:

Blogger Vicki Larson said...

Hey, Isaac, your blog is great. Please change the electric blue lettering to some more benign color. I cannot read it with my old eyes. Unless you think that is good and serves me right, please change it to a light green or some other light color. please. please. now I'm whimpering. check out my blog. I'm joining the 21st century. vicki larson

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zeek-
No offense, but that close up of you as santa looks like some drunk in a santa suit looking for his christmas booze!
We miss you stateside, and I wanted to wish you a happy new year and belated xmas.
Tony

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isaac, man, your blog is phenomenal. Hope life is good.

-Matt Nyflot

8:39 AM  
Blogger Vicki Larson said...

Okay, get on the stick and write another blog. I want to know how it's going. I check it every day and you're shirking your responsibility to your loyal following. Sigh.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

update me?

6:17 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home