Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Spreading the Word


Above is a picture of the neighborhood (Nippa) where I live. I am about a 30 second walk from the Ueno Elementary school (the red-roofed building) shown above. Every Thursday afternoon I teach English to two different classes at the elementary school. Last week I taught 1st grade, then 5th grade. For first grade, I taught animals (with emphasis on the barn-yard variety), the noises they make, and Old MacDonald. We then played Duck, Duck, Gray Duck (or Goose depending on how you were raised). With the assistance of flashcards, I stated the name and the noise they make. They repeated and clucked, oinked, moo-ed, and all the others. However, there was one problem: the duck. I have a flashcard of a duck, but everytime I showed it they kept saying "chicken." So, like any good teacher I had to get the idea of "chicken" out of their little heads and insert "duck." And like every good teacher I used an example: AFLAC! Yes, Aflac has a Japanese branch, which is also littering the airwaves with their Gilbert Gottfried talking duck equivalent (Note: despite the difficulties for Japanese people to pronounce the 'L' sound, the word doesn't sound like Afrac). Anyway, to help them remember the word duck I would often say Aflac! afterwards. Later I found out that it did indeed work in helping them realize that this wasn't a chicken....instead, it was an Aflac. Yes, first graders of Ueno Elementary School think ducks are called aflacs. Just imagine my bewilderment as I discovered this new name to the tune of Old MacDonald. I failed as an English teacher. I wonder if the people at Aflac need help in promoting their insurance policies to the 6 to 7 year old age group.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ashlee said...

you are one funny man. i'm sure the students will understand your comical genius one day. but they might also curse your name for teaching them the wrong name for duck. either way, good post!

pinky lee (this will go down as the day i had pink eye in japan)

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aflac!

3:04 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Isaac, give yourself some credit! I'm sure that teaching them that a duck is called aflac is very minor as compared to the deep emotional scars given to them by having to look at your face every day!!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Vicki Larson said...

Keep up the hilarious post!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Paul S. said...

How many people live in that little village? And how much taller are you than the tallest person?

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Izzy, You make me smile and laugh. I can just hear the students yelling aflac when they see a duck and can't help remember when I taught those Mexican boys to say "look everybody I have a very small penis" when they were really trying to say "Whats up girl?" haahaha The power we have is frightening.

Love ya man

3:22 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

When I taught farm animals in kindergarten, I showed my picture of a duck and said:
"What animal is this?"
"DUCK!"
"What does a duck say?"
"AFLAC!"
I couldn't stop giggling.

...but then I was sad because even 4-year olds base their most fundamental perceptions on information from tv commercials.

(PS--many of them also said "BEEF!" instead of "cow," which I thought was funny)

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home