Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Ready, Set, GO!

March Madness takes on a different form in the Far East. The school year and fiscal year both end in March, which means two things: lots of bowing and lots of farewell parties. This year was no different. During the third graders graduation ceremony I decided to tally up how many times I bowed during the course of the ceremony (I mean, what else would I do?!?!? I don't understand what they are talking about, and even if I did I would probably just fall asleep like everyone else). Times bowed during the hour-long ceremony: 106.

It was actually very sad seeing some of my students leave the school for the last time. I have become very good friends with some of them, and they have made my time in Japan a memorable one.

Next up: Kindergarten graduation. The students came dressed in their cutest outfits to make them even cuter! Never before have I seen the 3-piece suit so well utilized with the matching shorts and stretched up gym socks.

This graduation ceremony wasn't as boring as the Junior High School one for several reasons: 1) while the mayor was speaking several graduates started jostling with their clothing and pulling their skirts over their heads; 2) the kids in kindergarten are just learning to bow, so it is fun to watch them try; 3) young children are the best at speaking with me...they use easy Japanese, they like actions and gestures, and if I nod my head and say something silly they think I understand; and, 4) I gave a speech in Japanese, so of course it was very moving and got all the parents crying.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, the pictures are to die for! Who helps you compose your speeches in Japanese? How much rehearsal is involved? Or do you do it all yourself and make wonderful errors that make the audience titter uncontrollably? Or do you have help and THEN make the audience titter anyway? Ah, these struggles with a foreign tongue. Not only is the language a challenge, but the tongue which does not want to obey your brain's instructions betrays you, too. Love ya.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Brian Linne said...

You need a haircut.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Yeahhh what is up with the hair? I mean it is their graduation, in front of their parents, and you look like a SLOB!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

i hear you about having to sit through school stuff which is impossible to understand...we have our opening ceremony at my place on monday...joy...sometimes i try to follow along but i usually start spacing out about 10 minutes into it...

12:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

it looks like the mayor/principal is wearing toilet slippers... *giggle*

2:18 PM  
Blogger court said...

ditto, brian. couldn't've said it better myself.

i think i will be in nepal in august. will you?

12:51 PM  
Blogger Izzy said...

sorry for the mop. i got it trimmed. it looks good...so there. no more hate. this blog hates the hate.

from kyoto,
isaac

9:16 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I'm glad you finally cleaned up your act.

12:04 PM  
Blogger court said...

no hate. constructive criticism.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you. are. huge. p.s. can a girl get an e-mail? that is all.

Love,
Larissa

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home