Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Asamakakushisan: 浅間隠山


Last weekend was one for the record books. I don't know why I wrote that to start this post...it could never compare to the weekend I had at Disney World when I was a kid or the beloved "Weekend at Bernie's." Anyway, I'm sure there was something important going on somewhere that warrants recording (i.e. the Oscars or Bush's trip to the Asian Subcontinent). My weekend consisted of a hike. A very good hike at that. Maci, Ashlee, Justin, and I hiked a snowy peak called Asamakakushisan to get a 360-degree view of the surroundings and of Mount Asama. I am told the name Asamakakushisan means something like "the mountain shadowing Mount Asama" or "in the shadow of Mount Asama." Mount Asama is one of the largest active volcanoes in Japan and a sight to see, especially for someone who used to make volcanoes in the sandbox with a garden hose.

From left to right: Justin: the ukelele-playing, Emeril-imitating, part Italian, part Hawaiian, fearless leader of our expedition. Maci: the always upbeat, slick-shoe-wearin', small-town-faring, Missouri girl. Isaac: me. Ashlee: the art-makin', already taken, blondie from Iowa. Some of the finest English teachers you'll ever see.


The hike was absolutely beautiful! We eventually made it up the slippery, slushy slopes after many envious looks toward the Japanese hikers equipped with their metal-studded boots. Once we reached the top, we broke out the one-time use grill, food, and booze. Justin, the cook (he is part Italian), made some delicious shrimp burgers and kebabs. Who needs a Power Bar when you could have a shrimp burger and some grilled egg plant? All in all, it was fantastic food and fantastic company.


Next hike: Mount Myogi: Part Deux. I figure I should do it right this time rather than hiking off of 4 hours of sleep and 10 beers in my stomach.

In the near future: Asama-san! I am going to try and climb Asama sometime this spring or summer (whenever the snow melts). Pray for magma-free trails.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul S. said...

If only coach Koz could see you now..... Great pictures. But seriously Isaac, please start posting pictures of the little people standing next to you.....

2:24 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Thanks to you and your blog, I can see the beautiful mountain views from all over Gunma without having to climb any of them myself. Yay for that! (^-^)

4:13 PM  
Blogger Ashlee said...

my, my , my, this post takes me back to about two days ago. the mud is still caked on my jeans and my mittens are still drying from the snowball fight on the way down the mountain. i'd like to take this opportunity to thank all who participated in this event, and for all such events to follow this fine example of mountaineering. we done good folks, we done good.

great photos isaac!

ashlee

9:38 PM  
Blogger Vicki Larson said...

Wow. What beautiful mountains. And, of course, beautiful mountain climbers.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home