Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Monday, March 20, 2006

The Big Kid

I was always the big kid in school, and being a teacher in Japan hasn't changed that. I still need lots of guidance like the kids, I want to eat the dessert before all of my rice, I never give handicaps when I play some made-up game with the kids, and I often get the kids in trouble for goofing off.


Above is a picture of me and the Panda Class at the hoikuen (kindergarten). They are graduating this Friday and will be first graders next school year, which starts in April. I teach these guys, along with the Rabbit and Squirrel Class every Wednesday morning. I often walk away from the kindergarten feeling exhausted and enriched....and sometimes completely awful. You never know what you are going to get when you have a bunch of three, four, and five year olds on your hands. Hoikuen is a place where the tears flow like the mighty Mississippi and the notion of relaxation is all but extinct (at least until nap time). It's a place where the students don't know you can't speak Japanese and a place where Isaac Sensei means trapeze artist and jungle gym.

6 Comments:

Blogger T-Mu said...

Wow, look at yourself Isaac, do you realize how Japanese you've become? Just looking at that peace sign shows me that you are a true nihonjin.
Cheesu!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

wow... cute picture! I love kindergarten.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Isaac, you are just a little 5 yr old japanese kid stuck in a 7 foot tall awkward white boys body.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Vicki Larson said...

This is the third comment I have tried to leave you. What's happenin'? I think you're great is what they said. But in more flowery prose. sigh.

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isaac, you fit right in the picture, except for the glasses, the hair color, the size, the skin pigment, the language, the eyes, but everything else is perfect. Gramma E

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isaac,
i just showed this picture to my co-workers and one said, "which one is your friend??"

it made me chuckle...

cara

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home