Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Another Time

I received these photos from the editor of the village newspaper. They are from the all Gunma Sports Day in the capital city of Maebashi. You know, the one where I went to defend Ueno's outstanding tug-of-war performance the previous year, dressed in apparel suitable for a county fair worker directing cars, and accompanied by patrons in need of bran-filled diets and possible hip replacement surgery. Shockingly we lost the first match and were sent home. It is believed that the opposing team tugged with the help of a team member's motorized wheelchair.

These are some of my students' moms who I often play volleyball with every Tuesday night from 7:30 - 9:45 pm in the elementary school gym. They vehemently oppose me jumping during practice to block, spike, or cause havoc in any way, shape, or form. They say, "Iazacku! NO JUMPU!" Don't you love the attire?
This is a picture of the opening ceremony. Pictures like this make me sing a little song in my head that goes like this "One of these things is not like the others....one of these things is not like the others....one of these things is not like the others...(with catchy, cheesy beats and bops inserted in a buffoonish way)" Can you spot the gaijin (foreigner)? I think the prefectural governor was in shock when he noticed the big white guy saluting him....that, and the 7-foot tall squirrel mascot standing at his right.

If you want to read up on the festivities, go here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ashlee said...

haha, you had to salute the mayor and wear that baby blue hat. haha. ok, it's not that funny, but that giant squirrel is. is he the mascot for gunma?! i haven't seen one squirrel here, strange....

good postin'.

ashlee

7:07 PM  
Blogger Vicki Larson said...

What? No injuries? You must be slipping. You could at least have managed a black eye or a bruised arm or something. Or was this the occasion when you broke your glasses? I get confused. I'm old. {I told a little girl I was forgetful so would she tell me her name again. And she said, "Well. You should just go ahead and die like my grandpa did!" I told her I thought I would wait a bit.}

I think your teammates have the right idea.. no jumping! Take care. Keep posting.

10:24 PM  
Blogger court said...

i saw a squirrel the other day and it freaked me out for a minute because it ran up to me and kind of saluted me.

i miss the monkeys. those little jerks.

uh, i tried making up a signature with other keys and it didn't really work... how bout this: ( @ ( @. ha! victory is mine.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Vicki Larson said...

I went to Kristine's blog and wanted to leave a comment but there was no place to do so. How come?

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you boost your confidence after the lose by asking them if they'd like to play basketball? Or arm wrestle? You make me laugh Isaac!
-cara
ps. can I become a blogger if I don't have a blog website?

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home