Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Bon Appetit!

In Mongolia, we went to a Chinese restaurant one night to socialize a bit with some English teachers in Darkhan. We ordered some Mongolian beer (which, in my experience, is the best beer in Asia) before referring to the menu to see what strange food we would be eating. It was nice being in a Chinese restaurant in Mongolia....just about everyone in our group needed a break from mutton. Furthermore, it was nice to see a trilingual menu--representing Chinese, Mongolian, and English. Take a look...what would you order?



In the end, we ordered a dish with chicken (we wanted to indulge because every other restaurant in town had banished the chicken because of the bird flu), a couple dishes of fish (not smart, considering Mongolia is a land-locked country), and the-always-comforting, can't-go-wrong white rice. In other words, we started off with a tantalizing sample of the temple explodes the chicken cube, followed by a heaping helping of fuck to burn the fish, rounded out nicely with the delectable the water boils the fish.

I thought the fuck to burn the fish was the worst fuck to burn the fish I had ever had...it was tasteless and, frankly, in need of a bit more burning. The temple explodes the chicken cube was pretty decent...I would recommend that to just about anyone; Ask for it at your local Chinese restaurant. Now, the water boils the fish was very good. So good, in fact, that I tried to get the recipe from the waitress, but had no luck. I am curious how they prepared it.

10 Comments:

Blogger Izzy said...

I apologize to anyone offended by the use of the f-word in this post. it is strange, i am an adult (at least according to age) but when i was typing it i felt like a) my dad would instantly know and disapprove, b) it wouldn't be as good without it, and c) the word tasteless perfectly symbolized the name of the dish and my attempt at making it humorous.

my apologies,
isaac

12:29 AM  
Blogger T-Mu said...

I'm off to some chinese restaurant to get me some fuck to burn the fish...oh man, i haven't seen anything THAT funny in a while! I've seen and heard many of mistakes in translation, but this one tops most of them. great post as always!

12:40 AM  
Blogger Vicki Larson said...

They must really teach English well in that area... or use riotous other languages in ways we have a hard time even imagining. Hilarious, as usual. Kudoes.

3:29 AM  
Blogger court said...

man, got to love the food posts. sometimes i think that people in other countries know exactly what they are doing with the english language to fool foreigners and make us laugh.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Ashlee said...

ha, ha! now that is hilarious. thanks for continually making me laugh. i second courtney--how could they not know?!

ashlee

7:34 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You know in the cities at the Sofitel they have two things on the menu that alone seem mildly funny but when put together is hilarious! Order the "nutty irishman" with the "dry sack"

2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just waiting for you post to end with "And now I have a rash". huh. Larissa=a little dissappointed. I am glad you are still alive! I am alive and well. Miss you tons. p.s. tons = 2100 pounds of water....thats a lot. p.p.s "a lot" = a really vague phrase...could be a big amount, could be just a little...you decide.

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. I'm at my sister Fran's computer and I want to send you a comment to see if you know who it is from! Do you have any idea? Your menus have made our day!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Izzy said...

Sorry. I have no idea who you are. Give me a hint! I don't think I know a Fran! When did we meet?
isaac

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might have gone with living to burn the mutton, but that's just me. Paul

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home