Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Monday Drives

Yesterday I went for a drive to the top of a nearby mountain. It was a clear day, and on clear days there is a chance that your retinas will pierce hundreds of kilometers of atmospheric haze and overlook a handful of mountain ranges. Eventually, if it is an extremely clear day, your lenses will focus upon the cone-shaped blue hue of Fuji. It is an awesome sight.

Sadly, my eyes failed me on this day on account of a few surprise guests known as cumulus. They didn't RSVP for the party, but you can't turn down visitors that come from hundreds of kilometers away and are as unpredictable as the weather.


Well, I didn't see Fuji, arguably the symbol of Japan, but I did see something else that I think symbolizes Japan. Navigating the steep and curvy roads down the mountain I came across many signs like the one pictured above. The steepness indicated on the sign was not what surprised me...the amount of numbers and the decimal point on it did.

I imagine a Japanese engineer calculating the percent grade of the new road--calculating the vertical and horizontal change, the distance traveled. He comes up with a number, 12.....%. Why does he feel the need to even put the ".09" on there? Does that really help? As a driver, are we supposed to say to ourselves "Oh, slow down! This isn't a 12% downgrade. It's a 12.09%! " The sign not only tells the conditions of the road, but also, I think, the culture that makes them.

6 Comments:

Blogger court said...

man-o-man, i miss driving, isaac san. the country roads with the windows down and the loud music... i still remember the day you, ash and jenell picked me up from the airport and you and i took a country drive... and i almost started my coat on fire with a cigarette. good times.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Ashlee said...

i just took a "tuesday drive" today. it wasn't that great though considering it was just along the outskirts of the city, but i did spot a fancy new ramen shop. like they don't have enough of those here.

keep it up on the posting babe.
ashlee

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason for the odd percentage remainder is because of the conversion from the metric to the english system of percentages. Love Dad

10:38 PM  
Blogger Vicki Larson said...

Hey! I love it that you have an anonymous dad. That's a little shocking. But his reasoning sounds impecable! I also am overjoyed that you only have an actual picture and not a video. Thank you.

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. Take it easy on us Engineer types. After all, some of us have to drive down these slopes and need the precise information to calculate the amount of braking force required.

Otherwise -- great bunch of blogs (except I'm not all that thrilled with the camping/hiking adventure -- don't worry, I won't tell Ashlee's mom...yet. I'm afraid she'd be on the next flight to Japan to take her little girl back to Iowa :) Josee's father (DAD-RON)

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Often my co-workers wonder why I am cracking up hysterically in my little cubicle pretending to work. I just go ahead and inform them that my friend Isaac may be the funniest person I know. I mean, that's a pretty big title. I'm not sure you are quite ready for it, but the potential is there.

You truly are gifted. Have you thought about going into journalism??

Cara

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home