Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Monday, April 10, 2006

A Tree Grows in Tokyo



In Japan, the advent of spring is symbolized by many things: warm winds, talk of who is going to make it to the Japanese World Series, the end of a school year and the beginning of a new one, the numerous glimpses of bent over Japanese heinies amidst the freshly tilled dirt in hopes of making a salad come early fall, and animosity for the IRS for making filing taxes from abroad so menially complicated. Not to forget, the cherry blossoms.

The budding and blooming of cherry blossoms (a.k.a. sakura, in Japanese) has influenced many people: poets with their profundities, artists and their vivacity, tourists with their sights to see, and George Washington and his cutlery. It goes without saying that I, too, was touched by this incredible foliage. In fact, the last time I was touched by foliage this much was when I jumped into a pile of leaves in 7th grade.


The blossoms made it feel as if I was living in a real life Candy Land. I wanted to eat the blossoms, lick the branches, and savor the bark. I think the ants were having a hayday. The people of Japan seemed to be enjoying themselves, too. Cherry blossom season is known as "hanami," which roughly translates to flower watch. All over Japan, people get out of their tiny houses and into the parks, equipped with blanket, book, and booze (oh, and 35 mm digital camera with matching case and tripod). It is a national craze, and well worth it.


Ueno Park (pictured above) is well known for hanami. Crowds flock to the park like middle-aged women to a Michael Bolton revival concert. With that said, this particular park caters to all walks of life, from brittle old women walking their dogs to 20-somethings peeling themselves off the blue tarps they partied and slept on the night before. Hanami is uniting the masses.


Shinjuku Park, on the other hand, is much more chic and civilized. In terms of sakura, Shinjuku is like the filet mignon to the 64-ounce ribeye you get at Ueno. The park in Shinjuku offers a quality mix of Japanese gardening, whereas Ueno gives you quantity...groves and groves of cherry trees, almost too much to handle.

I anticipate a remarkable cherry blossom showing here in Ueno village (not to be confused with Ueno in Tokyo). Because of the cold temperatures up here in the mountains, the sakura comes later.



***Congratulations go out to my man Brian, my college roommate, and Alisa who are now engaged! Interestingly enough, he proposed in Washington D.C. among the blossoming cherry trees (a gift from the Japanese Emperor many years ago). Best Wishes.***

4 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

I like your pictures from Ueno! I refused to go all the way up there (from where I was staying in Tokyo) because I figured it would be crowded, etc. Maybe next year.. but since my dad reads your blog now, I'm sure he'll give me a hard time about you having better sakura pictures than me.

Thanks, Isaac. Thanks a lot.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so beautiful!!! =) ...oh and the sakura ain't bad either! ;) i miss my neighbor to the south...or is it east? north? west? you are in gunma right? hehe. i still owe you a sen for the brick!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops...i didn't even put my name. figure you know who wrote that anonymous comment..but just in case YOU are confused...it's ME! hehe.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Ashlee said...

gorgeous! i wish that sakura season didn't end so quickly...especially because the end of sakura means the summer heat is a comin'.

nice simile of the two parks--gets the point across and makes my mouth water.

good post!

ashuri

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home