Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Thursday, June 15, 2006

An Ode to Eyes

Today was the all-school volleyball tournament. My team consisted of 7 students and 1 other teacher. We were alright, although we only won one game. In the end though, only one highlight sticks out in my mind. One of my favorite students went up to spike the ball and I (on the opposing team) leaped up to block the spike. I ended up blocking the spike with my face. My glasses smashed up against my nose and fell to the floor. The crowd thought it was amazing. I thought my glasses were broken. Thankfully, they were just a little bent. After the tournament I proceeded to bend them back into place...I ended up snapping them right in half. I was so pissed. Here is a poem I wrote about it...it was quite cathartic.

.....

Problems are Larger Than They Appear

Subtitled: Five Senses

Anger fills me.
It's not that big of a deal.
I only broke my glasses
I can still hear, taste, talk, and feel.

Scratch that!
I'm in shock
For I am in
Japan
and Japanese I cannot talk.

Wait, it gets worse
difficult questions are what I fear
the optometrist asking
and I unable to interpretively hear.

Oh well, oh well.
It's not all a waste.
I can still do lots of things,
like feel angry and taste.

.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Vicki Larson said...

I saw your mom and sister last night at a presentation at church and we shared our enjoyment of your wonderful blog. Now I find out that we must be related somehow. The move to intercept the ball with your face is SO me. Or maybe we're just kindred spirits. Oh, I so relate!@!

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ouch. I like the new black ones though. You look even more the Chemistry Man I know you are. Love love love you Isaac and will miss you when I return home.... :)

Oh and I like the poetry too.

10:14 AM  
Blogger court said...

ooh, my interest is heightened here by the "anonymous" post. soon, when you are a famous singer/songwriter in a band named "bocephesus's (how do you spell that?) follies, will you remember the little chinese girl?

here's to hoping you do,
court

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home