Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Friday, June 02, 2006

Poems

I'll be in Yokohama and Tokyo the next 5 days so I figured I would post something before setting sail. I realize I am no Bobby Frost of Eddie "Al" Poe, but I will try nonetheless. Enjoy!

.....


Ways of Japan


In Japan, there are many peculiar ways...
afternoon assemblies and sleeping senseis.
Though they stay until 8 or 9
they are bound to say they are fine
that they don't mind
but they constantly sleep to pass the time.

And of course the formal ways...
the set phrase and proper etiquette craze,
with side-stepping and brown-nosing galore
the inability to show someone the door
and tell them "uh-uh, no more!"
all of this (and more) can make being a foreigner quite a chore.


.....

Footnote: I wrote that while being stuck in the middle of all the Japanese bureaucracy that comes with getting an driver's license in a foreign country. It should be noted that about 90% of the time I love Japan.

.....


Haiku For You


Now who thought of this?
ahh....seventeen syllables!?!?!
Think and choose wisely.


.....

I realize my haiku needs some work. I am actually trying to write some in Japanese, but that is harder said than done. Why? Well, my name "Isaac" has 2 syllables according to the English way of writing haiku. Whereas, in Japanese it has 5 syllables (or characters)--アイザック. Furthermore, each haiku has to represent a season--different words representing different seasons. However, some words have no season associated with it and thus you have to make sure at least one of the words has a season associated with it and no other words have a season associated with it that contradicts the others. Understand?

.....


Fresh Drabby Moldy Medicine

Each day is new
and each day is fresh.
Each day begins
and ends with a stretch.

Swallows fly still
in the blue gray sky,
although this day may be
the day that they die.

So I get up...
brush, wash, and give.
There is life in my bones
and days to live.


.....

6 Comments:

Blogger Vicki Larson said...

Hey, what a guy. Poetry even! And you are interested in art, too. Good for you, pal. I hope you have a wonderful time in Tokyo. My blog for yesterday is an answer to your question about how I got into art. I also wrote poetry for a while, so we are obviously somewhat interested in some of the same stuff. Notice, I said SOME of the same stuff.
Take care.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Ashlee said...

for some reason the last poem reminds me of a johnny cash song.

thanks for sharing your poetry, it's lovely. let me know when you figure out the nihon-go haikus--that would be amazing.

ashlee

9:00 AM  
Blogger court said...

there is life in my bones and days to live. i love that. in my mind i picture a whosit or a whatsit in a dr. seuss book, standing on the top of a colorful mountain, antennae in the air, arms above his/her head, yelling the phrase to the little houses and funny looking plants below.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out to the garden,
To hoe some weeds.
A poem may SPRING,
Plant'd by your seeds.

17 syllables for you. Love dad

11:29 PM  
Blogger T-Mu said...

Isaac, you rock! I really don't think that there is much more to say.

Btw. could you take some pictures of the train stations in Yokohama or Tokyo (esp. the platforms)? I haven't seen them in years and would like to know how modern they've become. Have fun in the cities!

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last gave me goose bumps...good ones! Love it Isaac!

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home