Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Tall Foreigner Visits Tall Expatriate in Japan -- Country Altered Forever


Gunma, JAPAN -- Lucas Coan Paulsen, a high school teacher from Brooklyn, New York, normally spends his summer afternoons visiting the local Dairy Queens in his native Iowa while contemplating what barn party to attend and which hog farmer's daughter to get smitten with. Paulsen, known for his tall, athletic frame and insatiable basketball skills, often shouted "I-OOOWA!!" while watching Big Ten football and jockeying with his housemates for a place on the sofa while attending college at St. Olaf. This is where I first met him, and this is where I learned that the only thing good to come out of Iowa is I-35.

Some say Luke was born with silver chopsticks in his mouth. I can testify after watching him eat, that, yes, he was. No tutorial was needed for this guy. Luke with chopsticks is analogous to Gretzky with his hockey stick, and I don't mean he plays with his food.

Paulsen decided to spice up his summer by visiting the wasabi-filled, hand-shaking-phobic country of Japan, and me of course. This being his first run-in with Asian culture since he watched Karate Kid in 3rd grade, Luke (or as known by the Japanese, "Rukie") has been partaking in Japanese customs ever since--bowing like a bobblehead doll, eating rice and raw fish with two small sticks, and seeing all that the country has to offer.

That's right! Hear no evil. Speak no evil. See no evil. And, smell no evil.

Once settled in the quiet mountain village I call home, there will be no time to unpack his suitcases because Luke and I are planning on perusing the entire country in order to find the best tea, sushi, sights, and sounds that the country has to offer during his month long stay here. The trip itinerary goes as follows: First, Uenomura (my village and one of the smallest villages in all of Japan, if you ask me) to see what life in the (imported) shoes of Isaac looks like. Then, the northernmost island of Hokkaido to do some camping and hiking while peering across bays into Russia and shooing off bears the size of 4 sumo wrestlers. Next, we will be whisked off into the sunset in the land of the rising sun while travelling at 285 kph on the uber-cool bullet trains to see the cultural side of Japan in beautiful Kyoto, Nara, and Hiroshima. Lastly, Tokyo. How will Tokyo vie versus the city that never sleeps (a place where Luke calls home)?



Of course, there will be will be many maniacal meanderings and unplanned scamperings to places well off the radar screen. I am excited to see what the month has in store. Moreoever, I am just happy to spend this summer with a guy that is as big and goofy as I am. Ready or not, Japan, here we come!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say the two young men who have shown up in Japan from St. Olaf College are great looking! But I was just thrilled to see another posting from Isaacsan. I miss you when you are gone! Will I have to wait a whole month while you are lollygagging around? Can't you find a cyber cafe somewhere to update your blogging? Over-blogging (many small blogs on the same day) is bad, but Under-blogging is disappointing. We miss you. Have a great trip and "hi" to your compadre. George is from Iowa, so I do not agree with your assessment of good things coming out of Iowa. Two, at least, I have personally experienced.
Have a great trip!

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isaac.........

It is so much fun to see the world through your eyes!! I really enjoy it. I hope you write more about your excursions with Luke. I'm anxious to read all about it.

I'm glad he is home now, and I can't wait to hear all about it!!

Mamasan

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Music Man came out of Iowa, and that's pretty sweet!

3:00 AM  
Blogger Ashlee said...

what about the iowa state fair and the musical "state fair" based off of the iowa state fair?

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the field of dreams? Ashton Kutcher?

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home