Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Stiff Upper Lip

This has been the first weekend in about 4 months in which I actually stayed in Uenomura. Normally, I can't deal with the deafening quietness....the low-key nights....the simple living....and having to cook for myself. Sounds almost unliveable, doesn't it? Uenomura has no conbini, convenience store, and yes, they are everywhere in Japan. In fact, 7-11 is now Japanese owned, and I secretly think the name describes the location of the stores being seven to eleven kilometers apart. Also, Uenomura is the Florida of Japan; over 50% of the population is older than 65. Thus, the only young people to hang out with are the students I teach during the week, and they aren't really into downing a few cold beers.

With that said, I do do a lot in my quaint village. There is women's volleyball practice on Tuesdays. Pottery class, which can be a real challenge on the mind when you don't speak the lingitty, on Wednesdays. Thursdays are reserved for my English conversation class. And about every other Saturday, there is a Japanese class for some of the foreign wives (and there are quite a few) that live in Ueno. I hit all that stuff up occasionally, however, I never miss a volleyball practice.

Last night I went out with my Japanese friend to see a play. We soon found out that the play wasn't showing, so we decided to hit up another venue. Bish. Bash. Bosh--about 30 minutes later I was dressed in a kimono, sporting a Japanese poncho, sword, and straw hat. I was dancing the extremely slow Japanese dance (called buyo). Also, I agreed to perform in front of the village during the next holiday, "Old People's Day." I kid you not, there is an "Old People's Day" here in Japan. Anyway, they practice every night (I am about to head there now, actually) and they take it very seriously. So far I have only done the dance with my teacher, and I basically just mimic all the contortional movements he does. The crowd seems to get a kick out of my limberless frame and short kimono.

This morning I went to a bar-b-que, Japanese style, on the riverside. It was with my Japanese class. I found the whole scenario very peaceful. I helped cook and prepare all the food with the 40-something year old women. Later, I found my niche while teaching the young'ens how to skip rocks. It made me realize that, although I thought I was seeing so much on all those weekends when I would leave and explore Japan, there is quite a bit to do right here at home.

Stay tuned for future installments, including exploring Kansai, Tohoku, and hopefully a video of me doing my thing on the Japanese dance floor. Until then. Oh, here is a picture of me with a mustache. Does that make you proud, Pops? I had to shave off my extremely manly beard because the principal would not allow a scruffy hooligan working at his school. He actually told me the children might be scared! I wasn't going to shave it off, but he was gracious enough to make a deal: he gave me vacation time so I could come home. That's right, I'll be home from 9/29 - 10/9 for a couple college buddies' weddings.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Isaac,
I just took the exact same pictures, although my mustach was much fuller...guess this 12 year old has aged.


Rissa

9:18 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

you should be posting pictures of yourself in that costume, dancing with old people, instead of with your silly mustache... (^-^)

11:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Seriously Isaac, just shave it off. Don't ask questions, just trust me on this.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Brian Linne said...

After this amazing post and the display of your mustache in all is grandeur, I was quite disappointed to learn that it has since been shaved off. However, that may be in part due to the fact that my facial hair envy had me living vicariously through your stunning good looks. It will be great to see you in just under a month.

bdl

10:21 PM  
Blogger Vicki Larson said...

I left a comment and it didn't show up. I can't seem to read the silly alphabet at the bottom. That must be the reason, right? Or did you expunge my remarks for scatalogical content. Right. I must say I am not a fan of your mustache. Am deliriously happy you are coming back to this part of the world for a visit. GREAT.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, your blog kicks ass. I am super excited you are coming home for a visit! As for the mustache, it's not as sexy as Burt Renolds, but it's pretty close Isaac!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Jess's Jesterings?? Thats the best you could come up with?! Japan has changed you Isaac, your funny quotient has plummeted!

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home