Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Sociological Perspectives

After a million hour flight back to Japan in which I sat in an area smaller than a coffin, I am home. Yes, I just left home for my other home. Here are a few differences between my American and Japanese homes:

1. My cat in America is bigger than most of the dogs here in Japan. I think my cat needs his stomach stapled.
2. In America, you have to sit on the floor when there are no more chairs left. In Japan, they don't believe in chairs.
3. In Japan, I have to invent storylines to go with TV shows. In America, I don't have that luxury.
4. Monday Night Football is aired on Tuesday nights in Japan.
5. In America, bowing is a rare sight seen only on Broadway and occasionally at sporting events. Here in Japan you get to bow after saying your name correctly in Japenglish, after you meet people, and just about any other time you are unsure if you should bow or not. My favorite bow: bowing to an empty baseball field after practice.
6. Door frames (and, not surprisingly, my cognitive abilities) are higher in America.
7. Rice is served with basically every meal in Japan. In America: cholesterol. Rice is saved for weddings.
8. Japan hasn't discovered one of the greatest inventions of all time: fire. That is why sushi is in existence. True story.
9. In Japan, kamikaze means "divine wind." In America, it means "you're nuts."
10. In Japan, obese people are athletes (think sumo). In America, athletes are the only people who aren't obese.
11. In Japan, I am blonde. In America, I am the brown-haired boy with tainted Scandinavian blood.

4 Comments:

Blogger Vicki Larson said...

wahoo, you're back! I'm so excited. I have been checking your blog for a long time hoping not to see all those grey heads with the red accent, and TODAY WAS THE DAY! Yeah. It was great to hug your corporeal self and realize you were not just a cyber dream, but a real live person. Take care and keep posting!

12:08 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Isnt kamakazi a shot in America?

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

12.In Japan, people really like to say 'sorry' to each other.
Thanks for the ride. And sorry I said too many sorries today.
By the way, surprised to see that people actually wondered who the guy is...

7:57 PM  
Blogger court said...

13. in america i am an american. in japan, i am that weird chinese girl that speaks english.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home