Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

It's Training Cats and Dogs

My sixth grade teacher, Mr. Freese, (what a scary name for a teacher) still affects my life from time to time, even though I am way past long division (I have a calculator), memorizing state capitals, and believing that he was the arch nemesis of Spider-Man. He introduced me to the phrase "Perfect practice makes perfect." Not just practice, but perfect practice. If it is not worth practicing perfectly, then perfection will never be accomplished. There is truth in this...there is also the entire Japanese psyche wrapped up in this phrase, especially if you add the Boy Scouts' motto as a kicker.

During my two years in Japan, I have been trained (in Japanese mind you) on how to give CPR, what to do in case of an earthquake, a fire, a landslide, a tsunami, if a lunatic comes to school wielding a knife, how to administer an automated external defribrillator (for comparison, this happens during 3rd year of medical school in the states), and how to best help a student who has just fainted and/or is hyperventilating. This is hands-on stuff, too.

Turns out, if a psychopath comes to school dressed in the usual psychopath clothes (the first tip-off) which includes wearing sunglasses inside, you should go straight for the best defense against such a foe: the gigantic 2-pronged fork that sits in the corner of all the classrooms. You use the gigantic 2-pronged fork by sliding a tine under each armpit and pinning him up against the wall, much like a slippery noodle on fine china.

They also start them young in Japan. Last Wednesday, we took the pre-schoolers (age 3-5) to the 3-D tsunami and landslide simulator instead of playing musical chairs. That was a bad idea. As soon as everyone had their over-sized 3-D glasses on and the door to the enormous semi-trailer/simulator was closed the havoc began. Let's just say I've never experienced a simulated boulder and a few mechanized chairs cause so many real tears before.

12 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I've really enjoyed your blog. When do you leave Japan? When will you be in Texas? We would be happy to welcome a distant cousin in Dallas if you would like to visit. Two of my kids, Emma and Stephen are in Minnesota this summer working for Concordia Language Villages.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Ahhh...good times with Mr. Freese! He was one of my favorite teachers, too. Maybe you could also tell your kids some military jokes and teach them how to play Twinkletoes. :)

2:41 AM  
Blogger Eenie said...

"It's training cats and dogs"??
GROAN!
Ah, who am I kidding... I love it.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

If Mr. Freese knew you were talking about him he would slap you with a wet noodle.

Also, I just got trained in CPR and I know how to use an AED as well. TAKE THAT!

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALL you former 6th graders, my ears are burning! Be careful what you say! Even though we are in a small town, news comes from around the world. It has been alot of years, but I still think of you all. Look at what perfect practice produced. I am at the fitness club trying to do the same. Retirement is good, I am still alive. Hope to see you in the future!

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Izzy, Mr. Freese and I go to the same fitness club. Go figure. No - It Figures. Ha, ha. I loved the 2 pronged fork defense. Be sure to keep up your blog after you return. We would all be bereft if you stopped. Take care.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Izzy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Izzy said...

it is an honor to know that mr. freese reads this blog. i wish i would've kept a log of freese-isms during my 6th year of elementary school. that would be enough material for several blogs, and enough wisdom to eclipse even those three famous magi.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Isaac! It was fun watching your excercise music video! It looked like everyone was having a blast! So what do you remember from 4th grade? I'm making a big move to 2nd grade this summer. It is exciting to have a change after 28 yers. I hope the rest of the summer is great! Barb Bratvold

8:21 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

AHHH!! TEACHERS!!! They are everywhere!! :)

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never written on your blog, but I am curious about 2 things. What decorative thing do Japanese do with poop, and I see your 4th grade teacher asked what you learned in 4th grade? Just curious!

4:15 AM  
Blogger Izzy said...

about poop:

japanese people have poop pens, poop notepads, poop stickers, cute poos, scary poos, and they have food that looks like poo. they love the cute poo emblems, too.

about 4th grade:

i learned a lot. i learned not to eat my boogers, some multiplication tables, some basic info about different countries (i made a shoe-box float of germany), and that Hooked On Phonics really works.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home