Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Friday, May 11, 2007

Different Country School

Sometimes I feel like I am teaching at a Montessori school in the boondocks of Japan. I am definitely in the backwoods, which is no small feat in Japan. Japan is basically a sprawling messy mass of powerlines, masonry work, and millions of bustling black-haired people. However, Ueno village (the village I live in) is different.

Yesterday, afternoon classes were put on hold so we could all go out and pick garbage up around the river. Last week was even cooler for the wee naturalist inside me. We hiked up the mountain in search of lunch for later that day. Basically, we learned what plants were edible and what were poisonous. We picked the good ones and headed back to the school.

I was part of the rice squad. We made fires by the riverside and boiled rice. I felt like a boy scout with a lighter, minus the sewing. We did one of the most peaceful yet exciting things while the rice boiled; we skipped rocks. It's amazing how trying to find the perfect stone, throwing side-arm, and counting in a different language brings you closer to someone and transcends age and culture.

The tempura squad was battering the wild plants with as much vigor as a pancake chef working in a lumberjack camp with a cathartic reputation. Soon enough the sound of oil splattering stopped and lunch was served. The menu: curry (fireside) rice, wild plant tempura, and edible grass salad.

Next event: the all-school volleyball tournament. You may remember, last year I broke my glasses by blocking a spike with my face.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an idyllic day. My older brother was a boy scout and I tagged along for all the fun stuff they did... until i got old enough that I just became a pest! I love stuff like that. I was a girl scout, but that wasn't nearly as cool. Soak up all those wonderful experiences. Thanks for sharing.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Eenie said...

Your school is amazing. Next time we make tempura let's cook up some weird mountain stuff (and hopefully not die, if you learned anything...)

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaahh, I'm jealous! Such things are unheard of at my school. But it sounds awesome! How were the wild plants and grass?

6:19 PM  
Blogger court said...

that looks an awful lot like pot... those kids were picking and cooking pot, weren't they?!

love the horse head.

you go into your profile to increase the views, yes? either that or you are the most popular person on the planet.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home