Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Quirky Quagmires and Moonsets

Enid and I's hiking adventures continued through the second weekend of Golden Week (4 holidays packed into one week). The weather was just starting to get nice, and it was way to early for us to climb the 3000+ meter Japanese Alps, so we settled for hiking the undisputed most beautiful marshland in all of Japan, Oze, and a peak in tourist-laden Nikko.

Oze is an elevated marshland spanning three prefectures famous for its spring blooms. In particular, in late May and early June the beautiful mizubasho come out in full force. Mizubasho is a beautiful bog plant whose name was lost in translation: skunk cabbage. E and I went early to bypass the heaps of tourists strapped with enormous cameras and tripods. It turns out, though, there were still tons of people there....AND heaps of snow! We tented it, and let's just say, sleeping on the snow is about as relaxing as it sounds.

It seems even the cold weather was on our side though, because we slept so little that we ended up getting up at 4 am. We saw the moon set and the sun rise....something I haven't seen since....ever. We cautiously walked our way across the snow pack, which at any moment would collapse and submerse your foot in a bootfull of water. Next: the nature of Nikko. After running over Enid's boots with my black bomber (don't ask), driving up a one-way mountain pass in the wrong direction (again, don't ask), and waiting in a traffic jam in the middle of nowhere, we hiked up a holy volcano. It was no Mount Ararat, but it did have a heavenly view and hell bubbling below it's dormant crags.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was there a bit of sake involved in this trip? "Enid and I's trip" is just a shade this side of absolutely ridiculous grammar. I'm not all that particular, but ... c'mon! Oh, well, you're forgiven. Keep the pix coming.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Eenie said...

My dad agrees with Vicki on this one. However, he gives you "points for creativity" for claiming that the "I" in "Enid and I's hiking trip" is short for "Isaac."
You are forgiven for this tragic error.

10:50 AM  
Blogger court said...

i like the way the sun's shining through the clouds there...

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I will accept the "I" being for Isaac. For someone who is such a wordmeister, I was shocked with the alternative and relieved at the explanation. Cheers. Just don't do it again, Okay?

9:46 PM  
Blogger Izzy said...

haha, gosh, you guys are so great. A retired English teacher and a retired Spanish teacher always looking after what i write. i wish more people would critique my writings like you two. i am glad that E's dad is reading my blog. However, if he wants to bypass the middle (wo)man, he can just comment himself. C'mon Justus!

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, Izzy, the gals at the gym read your blog and want to know how to get a horse's head like you have? Any advice? They are now calling me "bunny butt" in honor of my last post. Sigh. I guess there are worse things they could think of. Have a good day!

2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home