Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Captain and the Coots

coot
n.
  1. Any of several dark-gray aquatic birds of the genus Fulica of North America and Europe, having a black head and neck, lobed toes, and a white bill.
  2. Informal. An eccentric or crotchety person, especially an eccentric old man.

During my time home, my dad and I had "Day With Dad." Monday was "Day With Dad" because as a pastor they have the luxury of having those horribly manic Mondays off. "Day With Dad" started off a bit slow because of me waking up at 1:30 in the afternoon due to my jet lag. However, after mentally waking up on the right side of the bed in the wrong time zone, I was all game. After a breakfast of Skittles and Chex brand cereal, we were off. Where to? Well, dad got a new boat while I was in Japan, and he happened to be fishing alongside the beaut on the dock as I walked down groggy and bed-headed. I think he was trying to catch some fatted bass to celebrate the return of his prodigal son. Unfortunately, on this day the fish were not feeding thousands, or even two. Instead, they were feeding on my boyish frustration and dad's martyred, overly forgiving Rapala.


Dad put aside his fishing rod and climbed into the boat. As I pushed off, I nearly had to walk on water before christening the boat I have anticipated riding in for many a Japanese month. Simply put, it was heavenly. Dad gunned the 75 horses in the back in the direction of a pile of black specks toward the horizon. The black specks: coots. We rode amongst the birds as they flapped clumsily to get out of the way. It was exhilariting. Dad rode like a bat out of hell and epitomized the slogan on his hat (see above).



"Day With Dad" didn't end on the lake. Later we drank a few brews (possibly my first beers with my pa, which is a moment I think everyone remembers), watched some sports, and talked about women (i.e. my mom and sister). I drove the 4-wheeler around. It was a great day...a day I cherish and a day that has made it both more difficult and easier to be away from home and my dad (and you too, mom).

7 Comments:

Blogger Ashlee said...

of course irv would sport the "expect no mercy" hat. that was a given.

glad you had a special day with your pa.

ashlee

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss you here. Your comments are welcome. I will work on the "ugly/beautiful" concept. I think it is a natural for me! There are lots of ladies in my exercise group who check out your blog. They love it! Take care and have fun.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Your dad is apparently well aware of the fact that everyone is referring to this month as "Octobeard" Haha

1:52 AM  
Blogger court said...

a haiku for you inspired by the land of 10,000 lakes

i miss big pine lake
the open blue water and
morn' bloody marys.

remember bloody marys and bocce ball?

bocce, isaac, good post.

debocce, courtney, get back to work.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me a while to get the coots downloaded with my dial-up connection, but what fun to watch them again and remember the ride. It was great having you home, and we should do it again some time, if you're ever in the area. I don't think we'll be making it to Japan any time soon. What kind of readers do you have that make fun of a late middle aged man's last physical glory--his facial whiskers. Love you much--Dad

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to dominate this thing, but I re-read the blog--a little more carefully this time--you weren't implying that I fit definition 2 were you? Love, I think, dad

8:31 AM  
Blogger Izzy said...

HAHA! I love you dad. i don't think you fit definition number 2 at all...you might be a little eccentric (in the good way that makes you interesting, like your hat), but you definitely aren't crotchety (whatever that means)...oh, and you aren't old...yet. i just added that definition to make people ponder if that is what i was talking about. just adds a little flavor.

your baby boy,
isaac

p.s. did you catch all the religious metaphors?

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home