Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Yari-ga-take: 槍ヶ岳

Yari-ga-take (trans. Spear Peak) is the cantankerous, stubbornly rooted boil of the earth's crust. Protruding and poppable, but not. You think a peak so steep would just fall over. Not the case. The only things falling over are the people trying to climb it. To make things interesting (worse), Enid and I decided to climb it in the middle of a typhoon. Don't worry Mr. Havelaar, I made sure nothing bad happened to your daughter. Thus begins the picture book with witty dialogue.

Here is Enid climbing down the "Ladder to Oblivion" after summiting the peak. The combination of the wind, rain, and altitude almost made this photo impossible. I'm not really down with heights, so I told myself to not peer over the edge...but I had to capture those pearly whites.

Here is the obligatory summit photo with beautiful view backdrop, minus the beautiful view backdrop. At 3180 meters, Yari-ga-take is the fifth highest peak in Japan. On a clear day, you can see scenery most Japanese people only dream about. What I saw? The fog on my lenses and a nameless typhoon (the Japanese people just number them...they don't want to get personal with storms of destruction).

These are the said "Ladders to Oblivion." You would probably never guess it, but the one on the left tried to kill me.
This is "The Funnel." If you happen to fall while crossing these giant snowfields, good luck. You will slide down that mountain valley faster than expectorated mouthwash in a dentist's side sink.

Enid shows us how to navigate "The Funnel." She knows how to stick to the trail like plaque around the gum line.

This is me in a crevasse. I included this picture for 2 reasons: 1) it looks cool, and 2) I have never used the word 'crevasse' in a serious sentence.



8 Comments:

Blogger Eenie said...

"I'm very cold."
I am SO clever...

10:53 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

cool pictures...really wish you had gone a little futher with the dental metaphors though

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto----(the dental metaphors). maybe we could help you out in the office to come up with more---as if you ever need help with that!! Mom I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me of a little hike we did last summer.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Mikey Machine said...

Not to hop on the bandwagon, but I too think you passed up plenty of opportunities for dental references. Maybe its a product of growing up in Iowa, but you standing in the crevasse reminds me of videos I saw on the "evil" gingivitis bug attacking the spaces between your teeth.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for zooming in!! seriously helpful stuff. (~_^)

2:19 PM  
Blogger Manolis said...

Maybe i can beat this by managing to climb Fuji with a tornado chasing me all the way to the summit. Or better yet, riding down from the summit on my unicycle . . . during a landslide!

Today, i got chastised by a Japanese teacher via email for saying i wanted to experience a "big, fun earthquake".

9:35 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

So is that little shack in the video an outhouse?

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home