Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Two Weddings and Some Terminals

After many lines, checks, metal detectors, refresher courses on what is legal (a butter knife) and what it is illegal (lip balm) on a plane, customs officials, and passport stampers, I made it to America. I came home to go to a couple weddings. And luckily, I made it through customs with unscathed wedding presents, a Japanese care package (whale meat, sake, and "delicious" fish snacks). I was so relieved when I checked the registry that no one else had already purchased those gifts. That would've been embarrassing!

Both weddings were absolutely beautiful. Dan and Molly's wedding was in Rochester the first weekend I was home. Then, Brian and Alisa's was the following weekend in beautiful Bismarck, ND. Both guys were college roommates of mine at St. Olaf College. It was strange being in a place where I understood everything that was going on. It was also strange and surreal seeing two of my best friends tying the noose...woops...I mean knot. In all seriousness, both couples are blessed to have each other. I am happy for all 4 of them and wish them all the best.

I went early to Bismarck, ND for Brian and Alisa's wedding because I was a groomsman. I have to admit, Bismarck wasn't on the top of my list for places to visit during my short stint home. It just so happens that the bride (a very beautiful one at that) is from there and that's where the wedding was held. After experiencing all that Bismarck has to offer, I have to say I had an awesome time. The groom's dinner was entertaining, the rehearsals were bearable because of cute bridesmaids, and the service and reception were perfect. OH! And there were great friends and family to talk with along the way.

The morning of the wedding, the groom's company got together for a little morning pow wow. While the bridesmaids were getting their hair done, we went to Bismarck's world famous Donut Hole Cafe for....wait for it....bismarks. That's right, we ate bismarks in Bismarck. Ingenious. Soon after, we needed some milk to wash down the custard, cream, and jelly fillings, so we made a trip out to the famous dairy town of New Salem. Besides dairy farms, New Salem is famous for one thing, Salem Sue: The World's Largest Holstein Cow. It is impossible to miss Salem Sue as you drive by on I-94. Also, it would be an utter (or udder) shame to not get some pictures with her.













3 Comments:

Blogger Vicki Larson said...

It was fun to see you in a group picture where you don't tower over everyone else! The person on your left is taller than you. Fabulous. Glad you're back and posting, you japwegian you. Nice to hug you in person, but I also love hearing from you in cyberspace. Carry on!

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ISAAC!!! my wonderful-hilarious-tall-sweet-former neighbor to the south/west/east/north (i still don't know)...have a fabulously well-deserved birthday! Shizuoka is waiting for you to grace its presence! you are still coming right? otanjyoubi omedetou aizaku-san!!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!!! We tried to call you so we would reach you ON "THE" DAY----but of course you were unavailable!! HOPE YOU HAD a wonderful birthay sweetheart!!! I'll tell you the story, all over again, of the day your were born in an e-mail-------tradition!!! Just in case you forgot the details!! Mom

2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home