Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Leaving Home for Home

I am filled with mixed emotions right now. Tomorrow morning I will be leaving a place I call home for another place I call home. Bittersweet. I have lived in Japan for two years now. I have met some of the nicest people on the face of the earth, done some incredible things, been able to travel a smidgen of the globe, and lived in a completely unique (and sometimes bizarre) country.

I taught English to day care students, elementary students, junior high school students, and even a few old, eager elders. I learned the names of every single one of them (something I thought would never happen), what they liked, who their brother/sister was, what subject they excelled in. Not only that, but I feel like I really got to know them. Despite the mother tongue language barrier, it is amazing how much can be expressed with a little patience and a few basic words.

I came to Japan sporting a goatee, being able to speak 3 or 4 words, not knowing how to use chopsticks, weighing 106 kilos, and not knowing anyone in Japan. Now, I am leaving clean-shaven, able to speak 3- or 4-dozen words, a chopstick pro, weighing 92 kilos, and with a friendship with an entire village in the Japanese countryside!

What's next? At the end of August, I'll be moving to circa Austin, TX to attend graduate school in analytical chemistry. It's sad to think of a new beginning when you wouldn't mind not having the last thing end. But yeah, life goes on. I am ready for the next adventure! This blog was pretty much dedicated to my experiences in Japan. I would like to start another blog about happenings in my life, but analytical chemistry (endearingly known as Anal Chem by chem majors) isn't exactly the most exciting thing to read about. We'll see what happens. I hope you enjoyed reading this blog, I know I sure enjoyed writing it!

Sayonara from Japan. I'll see you in America.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a sad day in Ueno Village...and the rest of Japan. Aww..I remember eating at Mahatmas with you at Gunma Orientation and taking a zillion pictures with you during karaoke for my bday and seeing that nasty note on your window when you parked at the grocery store in Haruna and running into you in Angkor Wat...my how time has flown.
My lovely neighbor...hope you had a safe flight home. I'll see you stateside...and that's a promise..or threat, depending on how you see it. =)

5:04 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

safe travels man...i enjoyed your blog and wish i had discovered it earlier on in your stay...good luck with the chemistry (and of course keep reading my blog!)...take care

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Izzy,

We enjoyed reading your blog for more than just your stories about Japan. You have an incredible gift for putting the person reading your blog in the scene. My daughter and I totally enjoyed the "Head Shoulders, Knees and Toes" video! She used to love that when she was little.

Hopefully you will continue your blog from Texas. . . knowing you there will ALWAYS be something interesting to write about.

Karen Wagner
Vicki's Favorite Exercise Buddy
I will see your Mom next week.

2:07 AM  
Blogger Mikey Machine said...

Hey dude, I have enjoyed your blog a lot over the past couple of years. Let me know when you're in Minneapolis next time.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a little tear in the corner of my eye reading that last paragraph, Iz. You better start a new blog in Texas! Who cares if there's nothing to write about? That's what random photos are for!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been great reading your blog, all the bestest in the next chapter of your life

- Kelly, your devoted New Zealand reader :)

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, dude, realize you have a large following as a person, not just as a person in Japan. If you think there are not just as many screwy things in Texas as there are in Japan, you have another think coming. You'll find out. Now that you have started looking around in another country, your own will look downright crazy. It's called reverse culture shock. Be prepared!
luv ya, vicki

11:36 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I would like to hear about Anal Chem...and did Vicki actually say "dude"?? Haha

1:55 PM  
Blogger Eenie said...

Isaac, I agree with Karen Wagner (who I met in the Alexandria grocery store, incidentally). I miss your blog! You should continue!

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the suggestion from Enid AND Karen!! Mom

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home