Powered by Blogger

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from isaacarnquist. Make your own badge here.

    Pepy Ride

    Sumo

    Ueno Village

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Seoul and Euphoria in South Korea: A Prelusion

My first memories of South Korea go way back...all the way to 7th grade (which is pathetic now that I think about it because I have had an adopted cousin from Korea my entire life). You see, that's when I was learning the capitals of countries throughout the world. Such places as Ankara, Rangoon, and Tegucigalpa were gracing my vocabulary as well as star-dotting the pages of my parents' enormous hardbound National Geographic atlas. I remember that atlas well. It is so big it can't fit on a shelf so we put it in the next best place, under the couch. I would often pull it out while on all fours after pestering the cat. I would flip through the pages with freshly clawed and bloodied wrists (thanks kitty) and say under my breath, "I want to go there...and there...and there." I could live in that atlas.

In particular, I am fond of South Korea for several reasons: Seoul, yin-yang flags, and bar-b-ques--which sounds like Woodstock reincarnate. South Korea was the flashcard you always wanted to get when quizzed on the capitals. I mean, if you couldn't remember Seoul, I'm pretty sure you will never get Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso).

Furthermore, living in Japan has given me a chance to live that little kid's dream of going here, there, and everywhere in Asia. And next, you guessed it, is South Korea. The Japanese math teacher and I are heading there tomorrow for a 5-day gut-stuffing, culture-soaking experience. This trip is going to be particularly unique for a few reasons:

1) I am going with the math teacher from the junior high school I work with. It will be his first time out of the country. He speaks a bit of English and I speak a bit of Japanese. Lastly, Japanese and Koreans have a bit of a history. Just a bit.
2) If for some reason something is not expressed in English, it will be in Japanese, so we will get a full take on South Korea. Too bad we don't speak Korean.
3) They eat dog there. I can't wait.
4) They don't call it South Korea for nothing...yin has it's yang. I'll spell it out: N-O-R-T-H.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

7 Comments:

Blogger Vicki Larson said...

Now that you mention Ougadougo and Burkina Faso, our nephew Peter and his family lived there for a few years! He and his wife taught in the American school for English speaking kids. It was fun in lots of ways, but harrowing in others. Like getting the atlas out from under the couch after being clawed by the cat. Rewards and penalties mixed together. Yin and yang! Have a good safe trip.

1:24 AM  
Blogger court said...

i love lily.

my dog/ the community dog got eaten by a leopard. i love whitey.

i hope you have a great time, my korean kids are jealous that you are going to s. korea before them.

be well, friend.

xo,
c

1:39 PM  
Blogger Ashlee said...

lily is one old cat. no wonder she takes naps all the time. in fact, that's all she does...ever.

see you later? maybe in korea. perhaps.

ashlee

5:13 PM  
Blogger court said...

ha, ash and my profile pictures paired together make it look like we're looking at the same thing.

and maybe we are... maybe we are... (music gradually rises and movie-like montage plays, explaining the tie between people in different countries that are looking at the same thing... sort of like that part in amelie...)

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

read my site...you might appreciate the story. You also might not. That is a risk I am willing to take.

Larissa

6:36 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Cats are evil. Working in a pet store has also taught me that parakeets are sent from the devil. FYI.

XOXO

Jess

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup..it's a movie. not too bad. you should rent it! how was korea? did you eat to your heart's content?

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home